APSCE Merit Scholarships Program 2017
In 2007 the Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education (APSCE) established a financial aid and scholarship program to assist in ‘fostering and sustaining a vibrant community of young researchers within the region’ (one of the Society’s goals). The program provides awards to potential young leaders among the student community, who have no adequate funding to attend ICCE2017. Important information on qualifications, documentation, selection criteria, notification and submission deadline are listed below.
1. First-authors or presenters of accepted papers of ICCE2017 [i.e., theme-based conference papers, workshop papers, WIPP (working in progress papers) or DSC (Doctoral Student Consortium) papers, extended summary papers]
2. Applicants whose papers received overall favourable ratings from the reviewers (e.g., fall in the “inclined to accept” or “definitely accept” category)”
3. Graduate students (Master’s and Doctoral students) who are in need of financial support to attend ICCE2017. Those who have graduated with a Master’s degree (past 12 months) and are waiting to enrol in a PhD programme can be considered. Please provide a copy of the letter of PhD/EdD admission or evidence of the PhD/EdD application.
The following documents must be included in the application:
• A cover page with (a) your full name, contact information, the name and contact information of your advisor/supervisor, (b) the SIG (Special Interest Group)(s) you are involved in or will be involved in, and (c) a copy of the acceptance letter (including information on the overall ratings of the accepted paper) from the respective chairs (for theme-based conference from PC co-chairs, for workshop papers from workshop organizers; and for DSC papers from DSC Chair).
• A brief description highlighting your past contribution to the research community in general and/or the APSCE in particular. For those who have not had the opportunity to do so yet, please highlight how you can contribute to the community in the near future. Information on your prior experience participating in previous ICCEs in any forms (e.g., authors, presenters, volunteers, reviewers) is welcomed.
• A letter of recommendation from your advisor/supervisor endorsing your contribution to the community in the past and substantiating the current status of your financial situation. If you are not the first-author of the accepted paper, but will be the presenter of the paper, your supervisor/advisor must clearly state this.
Only applicants who have met the aforementioned qualifications are eligible to apply. Priority will be given to those who have contributed as an individual to the research community in any form, or have participated in prior ICCE(s). Applicants whose papers have been recommended by the paper review panel for Best Student Paper Award/Best Paper Award/Best Technical Paper Award will have an added advantage. Special attention will be given to self-financed students of their postgraduate programs. In addition, priority will be given to students whose papers have been accepted for the theme-based conference, followed by workshop, WIPP, DSC and lastly Extended Summary papers. Those who have not received subsidized support through APSCE for attending past ICCEs will also be given priority.
25 September 2017 (Monday)
Number and Amount Awarded
A maximum of eight recipients will be awarded the amount of USD500 each to help students attend ICCE2017. Successful applicants will receive the award in an open ceremony (e.g., welcome party, open ceremony, or closing ceremony). Awardees who are unable to attend the ceremony for which they have been selected to receive this award must forfeit their award. Awardees are required to attend all possible sessions throughout the conference.
Applicants will be notified via e-mail of the result of their applications. Successful applicants will be required to submit a report (suggested length: 500 words) indicating how they benefit from the participation in ICCE2017 one month after the conference. The report will be published in a reserved section of the APSCE Newsletter.
Submission and Queries
Complete applications should be e-mailed to APSCE MERIT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM Chair – Mas Nida Md. Khambari and copied (cc) to the Co-Chair – Weiqin Chen.
• Mas Nida Md. Khambari, Senior Lecturer, Universiti Putra Malaysia (email@example.com)
• Weiqin Chen, Professor, Oslo and Akershus University College, University of Bergen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Any queries can be directed to Mas Nida Md. Khambari and Weiqin Chen.